Your white blood cells are responsible for your body’s defense system against disease causing pathogens and infections, which is termed as immunity. We all have white blood cells yet many of us have a low immunity. A boost in immunity reduces one’s chance of getting infections and quicken recovery during periods of illness for both children and adults.
Vitamin C, a nutrient also known as Ascorbic acid is therefore a scientifically justified immune booster. Other nutrients that boost immunity are vitamin A, Zinc and foods rich in bio-active compounds with immune boosting properties like garlic, ginger, Cuban oregano, moringa and sage.
Here is how you can have enough of the immune boosting foods daily;
- VITAMIN C; 3 servings of vitamin C rich fruits to get 90mg. Each item on list represents one serving.
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon ( fresh not boiled as is common practice)
- 2 tangerines
- 2 slices pineapple
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 100ml hibiscus juice concentrate
- VITAMIN A; 3 servings of vitamin A rich food. Each list below represents one serving.
- 3 carrots
- Palm size pumpkin
- Bowl full spinach
- Bowl full cow pea leaves
- Fist size liver ( 200grams)
- 2 mangoes
- 2 slices pawpaw
- ZINC; 1 to 2 handfuls of Simsim, Groundnut, Cashew Nuts, Pumpkin Seeds and/ or Simsim Balls
- Bio-active compounds with immune boosting properties found in foods like; Garlic, Rosemary Cuban oregano, moringa, sage and Ginger
Boosting immunity naturally will need a variety of foods to supply a good quantity of each of vital nutrients daily for example for vitamin A eat pumpkin, add a source of bio active compounds by adding cuban oregano/ ginger to your tea, add vitamin C by eating an orange, then you can have a source of zinc by snacking on groundnuts. This way you supply your body with each nutrient needed for a strong immune system.
Please consult a health expert for medical support if you test positive for COVID-19 as this is a necessary complement to your healthy immune boosting diet.
Buy oregano and moringa plants from Gudie Leisure Farm, Najjera. Vitamin C rich Hibiscus, juices and tea bags from Rena Beverages. For a vegetable garden in your home; VMG has amazing gardens.
Written by Regina Nantege _ Dietitian/ Nutritionist , WhatsApp. https://wa.me/message/X7YWG52JKSQSG1